If quickly recognised and treated, the prognosis for steroid withdrawal is generally good. However, without early identification and treatment, further abnormalities may occur, such as electrolyte abnormalities and dehydration. They’ll discuss your addiction with you, how to safely stop taking steroids, and any obstacles you may face when trying to stop, plus tips for dealing with those obstacles. This means you can crave the drug, require more to get the same effect, and have withdrawal symptoms if you suddenly stop taking it.
- In addition, you’ll have a safe place to deal with the intense detox process, including the constant urge to use drugs.
- The aim of stimulant detox is to clear all of the toxins from your body.
- Steroids also reduce the activity of the immune system, the body’s natural defence against illness and infection.
- It is, therefore, necessary to seek professional treatment as soon as possible when you’ve been abusing steroids.
- Anabolic steroids are class C drugs, which can only be issued by pharmacists with a prescription.
The adjustment period can then cause withdrawal symptoms, which may be mild or severe, depending on your level of addiction. Therefore, tapering off the drug, instead of quitting cold turkey, is recommended. An experienced professional with the knowledge of how to help you stop drug abuse is the most capable of determining the right amount of steroid to begin a taper from.
Steroids (dexamethasone, prednisolone, methylprednisolone and hydrocortisone)
You will be given the lowest possible dose for the shortest possible time, to reduce the risk of side effects. Your dose will probably be reduced gradually as your symptoms improve, or your doctor might suggest a weaker medication. Steroids are usually only given for a short time to quickly treat flare-ups of your condition.
- The side effects may be reduced by lowering the dose of steroids.
- However, some drugs can interact with steroids, so you should discuss any new medications with your doctor before starting them, and you should tell anyone else treating you what you’re taking.
- Examples of topical corticosteroid medicines include beclometasone, betamethasone, clobetasol, hydrocortisone, mometasone, and triamcinolone.
- Information about these reactions will be added to the product information provided to healthcare professionals and patients.
Your appetite should go back to normal when you stop taking steroids. If you are worried about gaining weight, talk to your steroids to buy uk doctor or nurse. The dose you have and how long you have the treatment for depends on the reason you are taking steroids.
Your steroid emergency card
They help to control many functions including the immune system, reducing inflammation and blood pressure. If you want to check that your medicines are safe to take with your medication, ask your Pharmacist or GP. Steroid injections are often only given at intervals of at least 6 weeks.
Your child needs to be closely monitored while on steroid treatment, which may include checking their weight, blood pressure and urine. Your GP surgery, local hospital or local community nurses will usually run these check ups. Don’t have immunisations with live vaccines while you’re having treatment and for up to 12 months afterwards. Ask your doctor or pharmacist how long you should avoid live vaccinations.
Treatment for an addiction to anabolic steroids will be similar to that of other types of addiction. Steroid tablets are different from the anabolic steroids used illegally by some people to increase their muscle mass. Your cancer doctor or nurse can explain the risk of these side effects to you.
Eczema is the name for a group of conditions that cause skin to become dry and irritated. A type of eczema triggered by contact with particular substances, such as soaps and detergents. Contact dermatitis causes the skin to become itchy, blistered, dry and cracked. A United Kingdom pharmaceutical reference containing information and advice on prescribing and pharmacology of medicines.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
It’s important that you don’t stop taking steroids without speaking to the person treating you first. You should always take medication as prescribed by the person treating you. If you have systemic sclerosis, prednisolone could cause problems with your kidneys at certain doses, so you might not be able to take this type of steroid. This page is about steroids that can be taken as tablets, liquids, creams and eye drops and ointments.